Mesaj Sâm Sep 17, 2011 7:38 am

Curatare discuri

functioneaza asta?

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/2011/ ... with-glue/

Imagine

Howdy, Fixers! A few days ago I showed you a DIY job that involved cleaning an old record with a little bit of wood glue. The method was intriguing to say the least, and I knew I just had to try it myself. After making a quick stop at my local hardware store for wood glue, I was set with everything I needed.

To really test the theory I dug up the oldest, grimiest record in my collection. My 1974 copy of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was covered in dust, grime and sounds pretty bad; the perfect candidate. Here’s how I went about it:

Squeezed some glue onto the record. You can put gobs of it if you wish, but I added just enough to cover the surface. I used a small paintbrush to help in the spreading process but I’m sure fingers work just as well.

The original post said you should let it dry for about a day. We all know time is a fixer’s greatest enemy, so I just put a fan up to it instead. 2 hours later, it was completely dry and ready to be peeled.

I did a pretty bad job of peeling it; I didn’t put enough tape on the edges so this was a struggle.

After finally getting all the glue off, I was ready to test the results.

I put in on my turntable and it completely blew me away.

Now, I didn’t think that this was some sort of troll post that was trying to get people to destroy their old records, but I didn’t fully expect it to work well either. My prediction was that the record would look new and shiny, but essentially sound the same. Boy was I ever wrong.

It sounded like a completely new record; there are no more snaps, crackles or pops! To make sure my ears weren’t fooling me, I flipped to the other side which I hadn’t cleaned. Sure enough, it sounded terrible. So with just a few dabs of cheap wood glue, my old record was given new life. Fix approved.

Over the weekend I’ll plug the turntable into my computer and record a clip from each side, so you can hear the difference too.